- What is a group?
- Join a group
- Connect with other group members
- Ask and answer questions in group discussion
- Browse group resources
Groups allow you to connect with others who share your interests. Join a group to access select resources, members, and much more!
Groups are communities focused on particular topics or interest areas, such as "Engineering" or "Women in Business."
Within a group, you can:
- Connect one-on-one with other members of the group (who may not be available for connections on the Explore the Community page).
- Participate in discussions focused on topics relevant to the group.
- Access exclusive resources available only to members of the group.
To view groups:
1. Click Groups in the nav bar across the top of your screen.
2. You'll find yourself on the "All Groups" tab if you haven't yet joined any groups; if you've already joined a group, you'll end up on the "My Groups" tab and will need to go to the "All Groups" tab in order to browse all available groups.
3. On the main page, you'll see a list of groups that you can join! Click on a group that interests you to learn more about it.
To join a group:
4. Once you've clicked on a group to open it, you'll be able to review more info about the group in the "About" section. You'll also be able to see whether the group is public or private (private simply means that you're request to join will need to be reviewed by the group admin).
5. To join a group, just click the green "Join Group" button.
If you're joining a private group, you'll need to wait while the group admins reviews your request to join, but if you're joining a public group, you'll be able to access the rest of the group's feature right away!
To leave a group:
Joining a group allows you to connect with other group members who may not be available for connections on the Explore the Community page.
To connect with other group members:
1. From the group nav bar, go to the "Members" tab.
2. You'll see profile cards for group members with whom you can connect on the main page. Just click the green "Let's Connect" button to schedule a meeting or send a message!
3. Too many results? Narrow down your search with the search bar and filters on the far right; remember to click "Update" after inputing your search criteria, then your results will appear on the main page!
Your group discussion tab is a great place to ask targeted questions of others who are thinking about the same things you!
You can also answer questions posted by others, or just browse through existing posts.
To post and answer questions:
1. From the group nav bar, go to the "Discussion" tab.
2a. Add a question to the discussion feed by typing in the box at the top of the feed.
2b. A pop up will appear in which you can add a link and format your text using the editing buttons in the upper right of the text box.
2c. Add attachments by clicking the “Add attachment” button in the lower right corner.
2d. Check the “Post anonymously” box if you want to post anonymously; the default is posting as yourself.
2e. Finally, click the "Post" button to publish your discussion post.
Note that you'll be automatically subscribed to notifications sent when responses to your question are posted. For info on how to unsubscribe from these notifications, see these instructions.
3. Scroll through the discussion feed to see already-posted questions. You can answer a question by clicking in the text field below the question. This will open a text box where you can enter and format your answer. When you're ready to post your answer, click "Post."
Bear in mind that your answer will be attributed to you - you can’t answer anonymously.
4. Use the search box in the upper right if you’re interested in a particular topic or person.
Within your group, you can access resources exclusive to group members.
To find and view resources:
1. Go to Resources: Click on the Resources tab in the nav bar across the top of your screen.
2. View Resources: You'll see the results of your search (or all resources, if you have entered any search terms!) on the main page to the left. Click on any resource to view it!
3. Filter Resources: Use the search bar to find resources on topics you're interested in, like "networking" or "job hunting." Then click the blue "Update" button to view your results.
To star resources:
1. Star a resource: If you find a resource you love that you want to save for later, just click the grey star icon in the lower right of each image.
2. Filter for starred resources: To review your starred resources later, just check the "Resources I've starred" box.
3. View starred resources: Then click "Update;" your starred resources will appear on the left.