This document describes how to set up a custom domain with the PeopleGrove platform.
PeopleGrove will implement your custom domain as a single DNS CNAME record with your registrar. All custom domains are required to be implemented with HTTPS.
Examples of custom domains:
By default, your site will be set up on a PeopleGrove domain.
Example of default domain:
Using a custom domain is optional. Check with your Account Manager.
If you are just trying to forward a domain to your PeopleGrove site, you do not need to follow these instructions. You can simply forward your domain to your site, and you’re done!
1. Determine the name you want to use
It must be either:
- A subdomain of your website (https://connect.yoursite.com).
- A new domain (https://yourprogramname.com).
2. (Only for new domains) Acquire the new domain
If you are using a new domain (https://yourprogramname.com), you must acquire the domain first. You may use a registrar such as Google Domains or GoDaddy. Continue to the next step once this is complete.
3. Update DNS Records to point to PeopleGrove
Create a CNAME record to customdomains.peoplegrove.com to point to our servers. This must be a CNAME record and we do not have an IP address as the IP may change.
For example, if you are using "platformname.yourschool.edu" you would create a CNAME record for "platformname" pointing to "customdomains.peoplegrove.com".
Note: If you are using a root domain such as "yourdomain.com" and are not able to set a CNAME record on the root domain, we would recommend forwarding the naked root domain to the "www" subdomain, and creating a CNAME for the "www" subdomain to customdomains.peoplegrove.com.
We will automatically acquire and refresh the SSL certificates using Let's Encrypt.
4. Verify any internal DNS settings
Sometimes organizations have separate internal and external DNS records.
Make sure that your internal DNS reflects the same records so that the site is accessible within your own network.
5. Let PeopleGrove know that you have completed the setup
We will have to update the domain setting on the PeopleGrove side before it will go live. It also may take up to 24-48 hours for DNS changes to fully refresh. Please submit a ticket using the green question mark once you have completed these steps.
Can I just point my domain or subdomain to PeopleGrove's IP address or the name.peoplegrove.com site?
- This configuration is not supported because of issues with SSL. PeopleGrove requires all connections to our site to be made with SSL, and simply pointing your subdomain to our servers will create an SSL error. We need you to point to customdomains.peoplegrove.com so we can automatically acquire the SSL certificate.