- The value of importing data
- Tool location & access
- Prepare your data
- Types of imports
- Example basic data import
- How to understand import results (error reports)
- Common challenges and edge cases
This article describes how to use the PeopleGrove Import Tool to import User (Student, Alumni, Faculty, etc) and related data (Education, Work History) into PeopleGrove. During implementation, you will perform an initial data import into the PeopleGrove platform, to pre-populate Alumni and Student data for invitation.
We recommend separate imports for your soft launch group, your mentors/alumni, and your mentees/students.
Import Training is a standard Implementation activity for all Implementation Service Packages.
Why is Importing Data into PeopleGrove valuable?
You’ll be using the Data Import tool to either get new user records into the PeopleGrove platform or to update existing records in the PeopleGrove system.
There are a couple reasons why importing data into PeopleGrove is best practice: 1) It’s a better end user signup experience and 2) It reduces administrative overhead.
Who should have access to the import tool?
Anyone comfortable with data systems. Often this person is a member of the organization's technical team and perhaps they have experience working with data import tools from other software implementations.
- Sign up on your platform
- Get admin permission and access to the import tool
Navigate to the tool: HUB ADMIN -> INITIAL SETUP -> IMPORT DATA
Preparing your data for success
You’ll want to use the example spreadsheet and follow PeopleGrove’s rules for data formatting in order to be successful. Data that is not formatted exactly, will be rejected by the import tool.
Here are some other tips for reviewing your data for potential errors before processing:
- Check for duplicates
- Check for incorrect emails
- Check for blank emails
- Check for leading or trailing “spaces”
Types of Data Imports
The system can support imports for new users or updates to records based on database key or email.
In order to successfully import users, we'll need you to provide at least the following data for each user:
- First name
- Last name
We cannot import data into our system if you are missing any of these fields (i.e., if you do not provide an email address or if you provide an incorrectly formatted email address, that user will not be imported). These are REQUIRED fields.
Email address will be a unique identifier and cannot be duplicated.
We strongly recommend that you include it if possible:
- Database Key: This is an external identifier that is used to identify individual records in your university source system. Including database keys will make it easier to track your data between PeopleGrove and other platforms
- Graduation Year: Including graduation years will enable you to easily transition accounts from "Student" to "Alumni," helping you keep data up-to-date as students graduate.
- Location: Including location will help you track user's location across platforms.
Format your data
The data is required to meet specific format. Format your data based on the guidelines in this spreadsheet.
We recommend that you read the Instructions tab in the spreadsheet preparatory to compiling your import file, as this will provide you with more detailed information about formatting your import file properly. It's important to make sure the data is formatted properly or the upload won't work.
Request Import Tool Access from your administrator
Access the Import Data tool from Admin Home>>Initial Setup>>Import Data. You may need to contact your System Administrator to gain access to this tool.