If you feel overwhelmed by the number of people available for you to connect with, this is the article for you! We’ll cover how narrow down the choices and decide who to reach out to first.
When you first signed up, you were asked to complete a matching quiz. Your answers helped us find other members of the community with whom you might be interested in connecting. These are the people you see the "Recommended for You" section on your homepage.
Click the green "Let's Connect" button to initiate a conversation with one of your recommended connections!
Want to update your matching criteria? Just click the "Update Matching Quiz" text to the upper right of the "Recommended for You" section. You can also update the quiz from your profile - learn how here.
On the Explore the Community page, you can find other people, review their profiles, and send them messages or request a meeting.
Remember, everyone who shows up on this page has opted into making themselves available for questions and as a resource for you - so don't hesitate to reach out!
Note - the Explore the Community page may be titled differently on your platform, but it will look like the image below. Still can't find it? Check out this FAQ.
On the Explore the Community page, you'll see profile cards for all the people who are available for you to connect with.
1. Each profile card includes basic info about the person, such as their name and headline.
2. Each profile card will also have help topics - areas that this person is interested in helping you out in.
3. Cards will include where the person currently works.
4. Profile cards also list the current location of the user.
5. To view the user's full profile, click the "Full Profile" button in the lower right.
6. When you've found someone you'd like to connect with, just click the "Let's Connect" button.
You can narrow down your search for good connections using the search and filter options in the Filters bar on the right.
1. Enter search terms in the search box. Good search terms include: college/university names, people's names, companies, cities, and graduation years.
2. You can also use the Filters to narrow down your search. To select a filter, just open the drop down menu for the filter (2a) and select an option or input a search term.
3. You can always clear your filters and start fresh by clicking the "Clear Filters" button.
4. When you're happy with your filter setup, just click the blue "Update" button to run your search.
You can also search for potential mentors by location. A couple reasons for doing this could be that you want to connect with someone in your city, or you want to connect with someone who lives in a city you're thinking of relocating to.
To switch to map view, just click the "Map View" button in the upper right of the profile card page. You can always switch back to viewing profile cards by toggling the button back from "List View."
If you just set up the search and filter bar with criteria you think you're going to be reusing, you might want to save a search alert!
Search alerts will save your search criteria and allow you run your search whenever you want. When you set up a search alert, you can also opt in to be notified whenever someone new matching your criteria signs up or becomes available.
To set up a search alert:
First use the Filters bar to run your search. Once you've done so, you'll see blue "Create a search alert" text appear across the top of the screen. Click it to start saving your search.
Then name your search alert (1), specify how often you'd like to receive notifications about newly available users (2), and specify how you'd like to get notified (3) - if you don't want to receive any notifications, just leave these boxes unchecked.
Finally, click the blue "Create" button at the bottom to save your search (4).
You'll be able to access and run your saved search alerts by clicking the "Search Alert" button in the upper right of your screen.
See someone you'd like to connect with but not ready to write that initial message just yet? You can save them for later. Just click the star in the upper left of their profile card.
If you've starred/bookmarked/favorited a user, you can easily find them again using the filters on the Explore the Community page.
- First, go to the Explore the Community tab (it may be titled differently on your platform, but it should look something like the page depicted in the video below).
- Then, in the search and filter bar on the right, open the "My Actions" drop-down and check the "People I've Starred" box.
- Finally, at the bottom of the bar, click "Update."
Wondering how to narrow it down and decide whom to actually reach out to?
When browsing profiles for potential mentors, Robert Reeves primarily looked for people who shared his career interests. But he pointed out that you don’t need to limit yourself to career-related topics when reaching out to mentors.
“I’m willing to reach out to people who have knowledge and information that’s interesting to me, even if it’s not maybe my field.
“I reached out to a real estate professional, for example. I have no real estate experience and don’t intend to go into it, but I was interested. He met with me at a coffee shop, we talked for more than an hour, really casually, and I got all this fascinating information, and he was a super cool, interesting guy.
“I think you can use these sort of connections to expand your circle outside of what you usually would experience.”