- I seem to have a duplicate account...what do I do?
- I'm having trouble connecting LinkedIn - help!
- Why do you ask for so many LinkedIn permissions? I don't want to give you access to my account!
- How do I verify my email during signup?
- I'm stuck in signup and I don't know why!
- How long do I have to wait for account approval?
Got a question about signup? The answer is probably here.
Did you receive a message that your info was connected to an existing account? Sounds like you might already have an account!
Click the link below that best describes your problem:
Looks like you already have an account! This could be an account your admin set up and which is awaiting activation by you, or it could be an account you set up yourself.
Either way, what you need to do now is access your existing account rather than creating a duplicate, and the way to do that is to reset your password.
What you need to do
- Click "Sign In" in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Click the blue "Forgot password or create new password" link at the bottom of the sign in pop-up.
- Enter your email and click "Send Reset Password Link."
- Check your email for the password reset email; if you don't see it within a few minutes, check your spam folder.
- Click the link in the password reset email then follow the instructions to reset your password. Remember, the link expires after 24 hours!
- Return to the landing page and log in with your email and new password!
Looks like you have two accounts!
We'll need to merge your accounts to combine and preserve your data; once we've done that, you'll be able to sync your social accounts, link your school id, or update your email.
What you need to do
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your name (first and last)
- Your email
- The URL of the site you're one (just copy the link from your search bar and paste it into the email)
We'll let you know when we've merged your accounts! In the meantime, feel free to keep using the account you're logged into.
Below is a handy checklist of the four most common reasons people have trouble connecting LinkedIn.
Do you have 3rd party permissions turned on in LinkedIn?
If you've turned off 3rd party permissions in LinkedIn, then PeopleGrove (being a 3rd party application) won't be able to connect your account. Log into LinkedIn in a separate window, go to your account information, look for the Privacy / Permissions settings, and turn on 3rd party permissions. Then return to the PeopleGrove login and try connecting LinkedIn again.
Are you blocked on a work network?
If you're accessing PeopleGrove and LinkedIn from your work network, it's possible one or both of the sites are blocked. Contact your domain administrator or wait till you get home and try again.
Did you enter the correct login info?
Are the LinkedIn username and password you're entering correct? If you're not sure, you can always try resetting your LinkedIn password.
Still not working? Sign up with email and connect LinkedIn later
If you've checked all the above things and LinkedIn still isn't connecting, we recommend signing up with email instead of LinkedIn. You can always connect LinkedIn later (after you complete signup) in your profile settings, but it's also important to note that the only information we're able to import from LinkedIn is your profile picture, email address, and first and last name, so it likely won't take too much work to simply transfer that information manually.
We only gather users' profile photos, email address, and first and last name from LinkedIn.
The level of permissions we need to ask for in order to gather that info requires that we also ask for permission to post as you. This is a requirement of LinkedIn.
We never do so unless you ask us to (via the share buttons in the app). You completely control what you share to LinkedIn.
If you're uncomfortable signing up with LinkedIn, we recommend simply signing up with your email instead!
Why we ask to access your profile overview
We will ask for your name and photo. We need this information so we can import it into your new PeopleGrove profile. This means you won't need to fill it out twice.
Why we ask to access your email address
We will ask for the email address associated with your LinkedIn account. We need this so that we'll be able to contact you when someone wants to connect with you, when your organization's admins send updates, etc. We will not be able to access your email account itself.
Why we ask to share, comment, & like
Finally, we will ask for permission to post updates, make comments, and like posts as you. We will never post, comment, or like posts on your behalf unless you ask us to do so.
Depending on how your admins chose to configure your platform, you may be asked to verify your email before you'll be able to fully activate your account.
If this is the case, at some point in signup you'll see a step asking you to verify your email.
- You'll need to click the "Verify email" button.
- Then you'll need to go to your email, find the email we sent you, and click the link in that email.
- Doing so will activate your account and allow you complete signup!
Didn't receive an email? There's a good chance it's in your spam folder, so we recommend checking that!
Go through this checklist to figure out why you're stuck in signup:
- Did you fill out all required fields?
- Required fields are marked by a *
- If you entered a major, did you make sure to first type it into the text field, then press enter?
- If not, give that a try!
- If you entered a college or university, did you select it from the autofill list that appeared as you type?
- If not, try retyping the college/university name, then select it from the autofill list that will appear.
Still not sure why you're stuck in signup? Submit a support ticket and we'll check out your account and help you get onto the platform.
Great question! It typically takes a few days to couple weeks for accounts to be approved. Once your account is approved by the site admin, you'll be able to access all the other features of the site!
If you have been waiting significantly longer than that (e.g. a month or more), it might be worth contacting your platform admins to ask about the delay. To do so, simply return to your platform and submit a help ticket.