- How can I search for and connect with other users?
- I searched for my profile and I can't find it! Now I'm worried no one else can either.
- How do I find users or jobs that I've starred?
- Someone requested a meeting with me. How do I view their profile?
- I need to decline a meeting request. How can I let the requester know why?
- How do I start a video chat?
- My conversation/mentorship closed, but we weren't done! Can I reopen it?
Find answers to common questions about connecting with other users!
You can search for and connect with others from the Explore the Community tab. This page may be titled differently based on how your platform is set up, but it will look something like the below:
When you've found someone, simply click the "Let's Connect" button to send a message/schedule a meeting/etc.
Can't find that page?
If you're not seeing the page pictured above, it's possible your user type (typically Student, Alumni, or Employer) doesn't allow you to initiate connections. If you're a mentor and unable to connect with others, that simply means that you'll need to wait for students to reach out to you.
Submit a support ticket if you think you may have signed up with the wrong user type.
We don't show users their own profiles (because it would be awkward to recommend that you connect with yourself!), so you won't be able to see your own profile in the search results.
You can view and edit your profile by selecting Profile from the drop-down menu that will appear when you click on your profile image in the upper right corner of your screen.
If you are available for connections, you'll see an Availability section in your Preferences, where you can check and adjust your availability. Note that, depending on your user type, you may not be available for others to connect with.
If you've bookmarked/favorited a user, you can easily find them again using the filters on the Explore the Community page.
- First, go to the Explore the Community tab (it may be titled differently on your platform, but it should look something like the page depicted in the video below).
- Then, in the search and filter bar at the top, click the bookmark icon.
Congrats on your new potential connection!
Depending on your permissions and the way your platform is set up, you may not be able to find your new connection's profile by searching for them on the platform itself, so we're going to go over two ways you can go directly to their profile.
Option 1: View their profile from the notification email
In the email notification you received, look for and then click the blue "View Profile" link.
Option 2: View their profile from your platform inbox
- Log into the platform and go to your inbox
- Click on the relevant connection request
- Click on the profile image of the person who reached out to you
You can decline connection requests from within the email notification you received letting you know someone reached out to you, but if you want to respond to the user before declining their request, you'll need to go into the platform itself. Once there:
- Go to your Inbox.
- Open the message thread which you'd like to reply to then decline.
- Click the "View/Edit Request" text below the message itself.
- Click the link in the "If you want to decline this request entirely, click here" text.
- Enter your message to the user, then click the "Decline" button - the message thread will be closed and neither you nor the user will be able to communicate through it any longer.
You can start video chats from your inbox. To do so:
- Go to your Inbox.
- Open the message thread on which you'd like to initiate a video chat.
- Click the green icon with the camera icon.
Make sure your browser isn't blocking access to your camera!
Sorry your mentorship closed before you wanted it to!
If your mentorship closed because you accidentally hit the "X" button, just submit a support ticket and we'll follow up with you about reopening your mentorship.
If you're not sure why your communication thread closed, it may have closed automatically, or the person with whom you were communicating may have closed it. If this was the case, it's unfortunately not possible reopen the thread, but you can reconnect with the user from the Explore the Community page!