Slate is one of the most commonly used enrollment and advancement software by our Partners and other Universities. Presently, Slate does not provide any data to its users about connections and conversations between University PoCs and prospective/new students. PeopleGrove creates engagement opportunities that Slate cannot: message users, schedule meetings, ambassador management, etc. This integration will let users navigate the best of both worlds (PeopleGrove & Slate) quickly and effectively. It frees administrators from the tedious task of manual exports and imports, as they'll be able to set up auto exports from PeopleGrove into Slate, and recurring imports from Slate into PeopleGrove.
Lost? Hub Admin > Apps & Integrations > Slate
Enjoy 2-Way Integration with Slate
Enrollment intelligence plus best-in-class community engagement. Show your prospects that you know where they're at. Give them what they need, when they need it.
Running a people-centered enrollment program with an integrated PeopleGrove + Slate solution is the new gold standard in admissions and recruiting. With these two systems tied synchronously together you will provide your prospects with an experience like never before.
Make it Dynamic, Automatically
Admitted students don't need to see the recruiting events and introductory resources designed for prospective students. Neither do they yet need access to the orientation checklist and peer-to-peer connections made available to enrolled students.
Connect Slate to PeopleGrove. Then, applications received, admissions decisions made, and deposits received — all tracked in Slate — will automatically adjust the PeopleGrove interface to suit your users' needs.
No manual switching required. It's like magic.
See it All, Right in Slate
Can your admissions counselors verify in Slate, today, whether your prospects have spoken with an alum or student ambassador? Was it a positive interaction? Are they reading your materials, completing your checklists, attending your events?
Connect PeopleGrove to Slate, and engagement data (like we've described above) will all be held within Slate, easily accessed by your admissions staff.
Get on the same page. Experience the future of coordinated admissions recruiting.
Results that Matter
Grow inquiries, increase your yield, and decrease melt, all with the help of your community of student and alumni ambassadors. And with this 2-way integration with Slate you'll streamline your platform administration, minimize the risk of human error, and keep your community members' experience operating seamlessly.
PeopleGrove is a proud member of the Slate Preferred Partner program. With this designation, we are working closely with our colleagues at Slate to ensure that our integration works according to the latest advances in Slate, and brings the best of both platforms together for your community. Both now, and moving forward.
Note: This tab won't be visible if you've already purchased the Slate integration.
You'll find the Slate Integration tile in Apps & Integrations under either GroveConnect or Quick Links.
1. Click "Configure" to take you to the Overview tab.
2. Choose the Setup Instructions tab to get started.
3. Create your Slate Service account (see below)
Slate Service Account
The first step in setting up your Slate integration is to create a service account on Slate. Your service account acts as the link between PeopleGrove and Slate. This ensures that the credentials that PeopleGrove uses to perform actions are only used for this particular integration, which ensures security. The password should be strong and unique and it should not be used for any other users.
Open your Slate site.
- In the top Navigation choose Database
- Choose User Permissions under Users & Access.
- Under Active Users, click "New User."
- Choose "Service Account" as your User Type.
Note: Because this is a service account and not an actual user, you can complete the First Name and Last Name fields with anything you'd like.
5. Click Enable account for access
6. Click Save.
From PeopleGrove to Slate
PeopleGrove's Slate integration helps make it easy to transfer CSV data from PeopleGrove to Slate automatically on a daily basis. You can copy any Explore Users, Data Viewer, or Custom Report from PeopleGrove to Slate. PeopleGrove leverages Slate's Source Formats to transfer CSV files from PeopleGrove to Slate. You will need to set up a Source Format in Slate to accept the data.
To get started, follow these instructions:
- If you have not already, turn on your Secure file storage bucket.
- Within Slate, navigate to your database settings, and under Import select Source Formats.
- Click New Source Format within Slate.
- Enter an internal name for the new Source Format and enter CSV as the format.
- Click Save. Note: You may have to update settings here later, but first we will get the CSV flowing from PeopleGrove to Slate.
- After creating the Source Format, you will see a link next to Web Services that says View.
- Click this link and you will get a pop up as shown below. Copy down the Standard Web Services POST URL
- Navigate back to PeopleGrove (Apps & Integrations > Slate configuration > Configuration Settings)
- keep the URL you have copied.
- Click the Add Export Job button on the Configuration Settings tab under the From PeopleGrove to Slate section of the integration settings.
- Fill out the form. Export Job Name is just an internal tracking name to describe what you are syncing. Target URL is the HTTP POST URL (standard Web Services POST URL) you have copied in the previous step from Slate.
- Select Export Job this is the Explore User or Data Viewer report that you wish to push to Slate from PeopleGrove.
- If you need to create a report first, do that and then come back to this screen. Yet, you can choose from reports that already exist.
- After you press Save, you will be directed to select how often to run this sync.
Note: You can run it up to one time per day. This is the time at which the report will be run and pushed to Slate as a CSV. Once selected, press Save. You can change this time later if needed. Click Go Back to return to the main screen.
- You will now see the export configured on the list of From PeopleGrove to Slate exports. You can now enable the sync, and press Sync Now to trigger the report to be pushed to Slate.
Note: You can safely test this without affecting Slate data as long as you have not enabled the sync and set up the Source Format within Slate. Pressing Sync Now will simply ensure the CSV is successfully being picked up by Slate. It can take up to 10 minutes after triggering the Sync Now for the file to show up in Slate.
- If you click the History button you will be able to see if the sync went through. The Submitted File is also stored in the Secure File Storage section of the admin so you can verify the file that was sent.
- In Slate, you should be able to see the file pushed from PeopleGrove to Slate under the Source Format. If you click the Filename, you can also see the actual file that was imported, and you can download the data.
- At this point, the CSV file from PeopleGrove has been successfully handed off to Slate. The file will continue to be pushed to Slate per the frequency you set up earlier. Note that while the file is now getting pushed to Slate on a recurring basis, the integration is not quite done yet. You will need to define a Source Format Definition to tell Slate how to handle the file which was passed off from PeopleGrove. Please see Slate's documentation on Source Formats for more details. We are working on ways to make this easier in the future, but currently, you will need to work with your team to create a Source Format that works with the file you are exporting from PeopleGrove to Slate.
- Once a Source Format definition is set, you can turn on the import to Slate, and you're good to go! The file will be automatically imported into Slate as defined by your schedule settings.
From Slate to PeopleGrove
PeopleGrove uses Slate's Queries function to pass data from Slate to PeopleGrove. Using Queries, PeopleGrove can fetch a predefined set of data from Slate and import this as a CSV into PeopleGrove. Using PeopleGrove's existing Recurring Import tools, the CSV from Slate can be mapped to PeopleGrove data. To start the Slate to PeopleGrove integration, follow these instructions:
Go to Slate
Find Queries/Reports in the Slate toolbar at the top and choose Queries.
From there, click "New Query."
- You'll see the below popup appear. Select the service account you had set up earlier as the user. For the Base, select the base of the query, as if you were creating any other query within Slate.
- At this point, you will see Slate's Edit Query screen. Please consult Slate documentation for how to create a Query which captures the data you want to send to PeopleGrove. If you can include data via a Query in Slate, you can push that to PeopleGrove.
- Once you have finished creating your query, test the query to ensure it captures your desired data. Then, press Edit Web Service on the right hand side.
- In the Edit Web Service pop up, select JSON as the method, and include an additional username and password. This should be a secure password that is not used anywhere else. Please ensure that you use a strong, unique password. Anyone with access to this URL plus the username and password would have access to the data contained in this query.
- Once the Web Service is created, you will see a link on the Query page that says JSON. If you click that link, you will see a Web Services Share Link. Copy this link.
- Navigate back to PeopleGrove and select Add Slate Query Import.
- Fill out the below form. Import Job Name is just an internal name to keep track of the import. File Name is the name of the CSV that will be imported into PeopleGrove's Secure File Storage. Make this a descriptive name "i.e. prospect_import" which will allow you to identify the file. Folder is the folder within PeopleGrove's Secure File Storage where the imported CSV will be saved until it is processed. Slate Web Service Link is the link that you copied in the previous step. It is strongly recommended that you also select Requires authentication and enter the username / password you created in the previous step.
- After saving this form, you will be prompted to set an import schedule. This is the timing of when PeopleGrove will fetch the data from Slate, and store the CSV in the Secure File Storage bucket. You can modify this later if needed.
- Back on the main settings page, you will see your newly configured Slate -> PeopleGrove import. Enable the sync, and press the Sync Now button to ensure the data is fetched correctly from Slate. Click History to see if the file was successfully transferred.
- Visit the Secure File Storage bucket and verify that the Slate query results are showing up correctly. You can also easily download the file from here to verify the contents.
- To complete the import of data from Slate to PeopleGrove, you will need to visit PeopleGrove's import tool, found at Initial Setup -> Import Data -> Recurring Data Syncs. From this page, you can select the CSV that was imported from Slate, and use PeopleGrove's existing import tools to map this recurring import. For more documentation on PeopleGrove's recurring imports, see this article. If you are importing fields which do not exist in PeopleGrove, you have to first create custom fields in PeopleGrove through the 'Custom Fields' module. Learn how to create custom fields here.
- That's it! At this point, you have now moved data from Slate to PeopleGrove without any IT work required.