If a picture is worth 1,000 words a video is worth a million. A video intro is a fun, eye-catching way to express yourself and help others get to know you. Because video alone is naturally more engaging than many other forms of content. In fact, people spend 2.6 times more time on pages with video than without. Record a quick 60-second intro video which will be displayed on your profile cards. Make your profile more attractive and approachable. Help people learn about the real you. A mentoring relationship is all about the right mentee/mentor fit, and with a video intro it's easier to determine that fit from the start.
Video Intros are your way for people to see you for more than your profile. Before you start, consider your surroundings:
- Keep the camera around eye level (prop it up on some books)
- Keep yourself about an arm's length away from the camera
- Leave a small amount of space between the top of your head and the top of the frame
- Keep the light in front of you (avoid having a window behind you - you'll look like you are in the dark)
- You can natural lighting or something like a ring light
- A messy background can be distracting - take a minute to clear out the visual "noise"
- Avoid loud spaces - if you can't control the sound of your room consider using headphones with a microphone attached
- Have notes, not a script.
- You are probably not an actor - most people aren't. Give yourself bullet points to discuss. You'll sound more like yourself.
- Practice once or twice so you feel like you are talking to a friend and not screen.
- When you are ready:
- Take a deep breath
- Look right into the camera
- and smile
- Have fun!
Here are some suggestions to discuss in your 60-seconds.
What mentors would like to see:
- Your academic background, major, and the field you love
- What you’re looking for in a mentor (your ideal mentor)? What are your core expectations?
- What do you need guidance with? Why are you here on this site?
- End with a fun personal fact
What mentees would like to see:
- Your current role at work & best previous experience(s) you’d like to share
- Your superpower. What are you the BEST at, and would like to share with mentees?
- End with a fun personal fact - glimpse into your personal life and interests
Unique ideas to catch some attention:
- What are your hopes for what the future holds for you?
- What would you closest friend say is your best character trait?
- What is something you know really well?
Creating Your Video Intro
1. To get started, go to your profile and turn on the Enable Video Intro toggle at the top of the right sidebar.
2. Once you've enabled Video Intros, you'll be given the option to either record or upload a video at the top of your profile.
3. After clicking the Record Video button, you'll be prompted to turn on your camera.
4. Click the record button to start filming. Remember to make your video between 30 and 60 seconds long! And don't worry - you'll be able to preview your video before posting it.
5. Once you've recorded your video, you can choose to either delete or send it.
6. After sending your video, you'll see a confirmation message with a link that takes you to view your video on your profile page.
7. Your video is now on your profile! Don't be concerned, though - you still get to preview your video to decide whether you want to make it public. To watch your video, just click the play button, sit back, and enjoy!
8. If you're not satisfied with your video, click Delete Video and try again.
9. If you love it, remember to click Save to share it with the world! Note: Make sure that you've added a short bio; otherwise you won't be able to save.
10. If you'd prefer to upload a video that you've already created, return to Step 2 and click the Upload Video button. You'll be given the option to drop, paste, or browse files. After that, the steps are exactly the same as if you'd recorded a video.
11. Short on ideas? If you're not sure what to say, we can help! Click Watch Example Video Intros to see examples of compelling intros that others have created.
Viewing Video Intros
1. If another user has created a video intro, you'll see it when you visit their profile.
2. Click the play button and the video will open up and begin to play. You can stop, pause, fast forward, and repeat the video as you'd like. Captions, picture-in-picture, and full screen are all available options as well.